6 buses type OM 5 BL DPL took service in 1933 on line no. 10 (more or less
the present line no. 17) substituting the tramway and with a longer course.
These vehicles have been replaced in 1942 with the modification of the line,
which became for trolleybuses.
Moreover, one of them was completely destroyed during American
bombardment in 1944.
After Second World War, the needs for more, new and flexible vehicles
brought ACEGAT (= municipal company for electricity, gas, water and tramways)
to buy 8 Lancia 3RO, 10
Fiat 640 and 6 Fiat 680, with the introduction of new lines. Since the end
of the fifties till the beginning of the sixties,
a lot of new models reached Trieste, as Fiat 642, Fiat 682, Alfa Romeo 1000, Fiat 410
Fiat 409, with bodies Pistoiesi, Viberti, Menarini and De Simon.
During the first half of the seventies, a blind political class decided to
eliminate trams and trolleys, as done in a lot of other Italian cities, and
bought over than 170
new buses (Fiat 409, 410 e 418).
The municipalization of the companies in 1976 didn't bring any economic
benefit, making impossible to replace old buses. Some further public
contribution was allocated, in order to finance the purchase of new vehicles.
From 1978 to 1983, the Inbus consortium (made by Sicca, DeSimon, Breda and Sofer)
sold 65 new citybuses, length from 8,5 to 12 meters. Suddendly took service
17 Iveco 471.10 (Effeuno), 44 Iveco 480.10 (Turbocity) and then also Iveco
490 (either 12 or 10,8 meters long).
All new buses are low floor, divided mainly in Iveco-Irisbus and
Trieste Trasporti, today,
has about 260 buses, with a medium age of 4,5 years.
Udine: early in
46 vehicles on a total of 67, Udine has probably the biggest percentual of
CNG citybuses off all Europe.
It starded in 1986, when a "common" diesel powered Inbus U 210 was converted
to be completely powered by CNG.
During the following years some other vehicles were transformed, until
1998 when 10 new Busotto (body Carrozzeria Autodromo Modena) CNG with MAN
engine reached Udine.
Then was the time for 20 Iveco 491.12.22 CNG Cityclass, bought in two lots,
from May of 2000 to January of 2001. These vehicles have an interesting "multipoint"
engine that allows to improve Euro4 gas emissions limit and to reach EEV
These new buses caused the end of the last Fiat 418 with De Simon body,
built from 1973 to 1978.
The first buses in Udine were 3 Fiat 680 of a private company called T.U.S.A.,
plus 2 Fiat 640 of the municipality, and in about a year they substituted
the tramways. Until 1962, T.U.S.A. and the Municipality had different lines.
In 1963, after the re-organization of the transportations in Udine, the lines
10. Suddendly the city grew, incorporating suburbs and little villages, so
new lines were added and transformed: the 11 "centre-crossing" lines are,
more or less, the actual ones.
In 2000, after the allotment of the contracts for the UdGs, the municipal
company ATM merged in