AND CONCESSION RAILWAYS
la Società Veneta
It was established in 1872 under the name “Società Veneta per
Imprese e Costruzioni Pubbliche”, (Venetian Company for Public Enterprise and
Construction). In a few years it developed the rail network in Veneto. In 1886
it opened the Udine - Cividale line, and started work on the Cervignano –
Portogruaro railway. Two years later came the Udine-Palmanova-San Giorgio di
In 1889 the Company accomplished the out of the extra-urban
tramline from Udine to San Daniele, closed in 1955.
In 1897 the rail network also reached Cervignano, from where the
connection to Monfalcone and Aurisina departed, where it joined the railways of
the Austro – Hungarian Empire (lines that later passed under control of F.S.,
the Italian Sate Railways).
In 1910 both the Carnia-Villa Santina, closed in 1968, and the
Cervignano-Belvedere were opened. Regarding this last line there is an
administrative case with the State Railways due to its “temnporary” closure:
this line, even if still with a complete permanent way is now totally unusable.
In the aftermath of the First World War, the “Società Veneta” took over the
former military narrow gauge (750 mm) lines from Tolmezzo to Paluzza and from
Villa Santina to Comeglians and also the branch from Cividale to Sudiz
Of all these lines only the Udine – Cividale railway is still in
since 1/1/05 by Società Ferrovie Udine Cividale srl
Unipersonale, managed by Region Friuli Venezia Giulia (prevoisly run by Sistemi
Territoriali S.p.A. - Ferrovie Venete, Gestione Commissariale Governativa). Today the rolling stock in service on
this track consists in two types of diesel railcars, the AD 900 (FS
and the older
models, as well as some diesel engines for freight. In the last few
years the line has been modernized and frequency sped up, due to its prevalent
use by commuters.